Friday 20 July 2012

Friendship Stars and Free Motion Quilting

My faithful sewing machine does not know what has hit it these last few days, not content with making buttonholes and trying out machine embroidery on the Dresden Sunflower cushion, I have been trying out another new (for me) function of the machine.

The Time for Tea quilt was backed and basted but I have been putting off doing anything about the quilting as I know what I would like to do - teacups in the border - but don't know how to achieve it. Never having attempted any quilting other than straight line and echo quilting, it is a big leap to contemplate fancy motifs, even if this is only a lap-size quilt. I did, however, have the 4 spare Friendship Star blocks as a result of my shockingly bad maths, so now had the opportunity to play with them.

Bordered with another dotty fabric from the Sunny Happy Skies line, then backed and basted the quilt square was ready to be practised upon. Beforehand though, I checked out Leah Day's video tutorials on Free Motion Quilting, to help with the machine set up, as the machine manual was sadly lacking in this respect! Armed with this knowledge, I set to.

What fun! How tense! Oh dear! Not so bad! All ran through my head in the space of a few seconds, whilst also trying to remind myself to breath and relax my shoulders. I have new found respect for the FMQ experts abounding in blogland, their hand-eye co-ordination is amazing :)

It wasn't perfect by any means, but when I got the hang of moving the quilt sandwich evenly my FMQ stitches even began to look quite respectable in places! In other places, not such a good result, but it was good fun. I think it will be a while before I am rattling off dancing teacups, but at least I can add another new technique to my mental list of things tried.

I didn't get too carried away though the Friendship Stars were echo quilted first, before I tried out the meandering loops on the dotty borders!

Having seen the photo of the cushion I am now regretting using two such similar prints for the bottom-right star, as I don't think the star stands out as much as it could do, but as these were spare blocks anyway I shall just chalk it up to experience.

Fortunately, the Friendship Stars in the quilt itself are better balanced.

Last weekend we visited a Coin and Collectors Fair here in Riga. The stalls were mainly geared to Coin, Stamp and Postcard collectors but there were a few other interesting items to be found.

 These medal ribbons were a glorious jumble of colour in the midst of all the military paraphernalia

And these Christmas Decorations seemed very out of place on a baking hot day! Not that there has been that many of these this summer in Riga.

Have a great weekend.

Linking up to TGIFF

19 comments:

  1. Well done you for trying FMQ! I am so impressed with how tidy your stitches are! It really does take a bit of coordination doesn't it.

    I wonder if you could draw your little teacups onto freezer paper (or something similar) and use that as your guideline for quilting (as in quilt through the paper). I tried it with some flowers once and it definitely made it a bit easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I forgot to add that I love your cushion! It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The close up of the free motion quilting looks great to me. I think I have a while to go before I try that. One day.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Free motion quikting takes practice. Starting is the hardest bit. Have a glass of wine ;) helps relax you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. Free motion quilting is NOT easy. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that free motion looks great. The stitches are so even! I agree with Laura a glass of wine or tipple of choice definitely helps. The cushion looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for embracing new techniques, it looks great :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your free motion quilting. Sometimes the hardest part is getting started! You are well on your way to those tea cups now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your FMQ is looking so good! I like how the main advice for FMQ is to drink a glass of wine beforehand! :D I like the pillow so much, it is definitely a cheerful mate for your Time for Tea quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done,Fiona! The first few attempts are the most difficult for sure. Leah Day is my hero, and I am always practicing her designs! keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The FMQ looks great! I really like the pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't et the hang of FMQ, well done for trying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so scared to start FMQ but I know that I have to dive in. Yuor cushion looks fab and the quilting is top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have similar trepidations concerning FMQ. I'm going to check out Leah Day's videos right now. Lovely cushion and quilt! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you trying something new. I think the finished cushion looks lovely, can't wait to see the finished quilt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yea for you! Your FMQ loops look great! I have practiced on quilt sandwiches before and it is definitely NOT as easy as it looks. Another thing that practice makes perfect I believe. Your cushion looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just saw you'd signed up for hosting TGIFF... Would you like the 3rd Friday in October?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those quilted loops make me smile :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job on going the FMQ route! There are so many sites that teach new stitches if you want to go on, but You did a fantastic job on your first stitch! I love the brightness of the prints in the pillow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...