Monday 23 July 2012

Dresden Duet

The Craftsy BOM for July is based upon the Dresden Plate block, with one block being a traditional Dresden and the second a modern take on Dresden Plates. As the Dresden Plate is currently one of my favourite blocks, I was really looking forward to tackling these. Templates are provided for the petals and inner circle, but instructions are also given for using the Ez Dresden ruler and as I bought one of these on my last trip home, it was time to get it into action.

The Traditional block used 4" petals and was machine appliqued to the background square. The centre circle was made again by stitching two 4" circles together then making a slit in the back and turning the circle inside out. Taking Katy's advice I was more generous in cutting notches around the stitched circles, so the shape was better when it was turned out.


This modern Dresden block was made with 4.5" petals, which were joined at each side with 1/4" seams and then sewn right sides together to a background square at the top edge of the petals, again with a 1/4" seam. The background square was pulled through the open centre to turn the Dresden right side out, and then machine appliqued to another background square.

I really like this modern interpretation of the Dresden block and have already cut out enough petals to do two more blocks!

With 7 months of the Craftsy BOM now done, there are only 6 blocks left to do as the final two months of the BOM are dedicated to putting the quilt together, so, who knows, it may be done in time to be an extra Christmas present!

Here is how the blocks look so far.

Although the next set of blocks for the Sunday Morning Quilts Bee are not due until August, I decided to get ahead of myself and get them sewn up ready to send off at the beginning of the month. This month the colour for the blocks was green, which I didn't think I had a lot of in my stash. Thanks to my charm square win some months ago from Erin at Missy Mac Creations, I was surprised to find that I had more than enough to make these two blocks.

I am looking forward to seeing the blocks that come through the post in this direction!

Tomorrow is my day for posting on the Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop along with Colby of Sew,Quilt, Explore so I look forward to welcoming you back then and in the meantime here is a sneak peek of what is in store!

Linking up to BOM's Away and Manic Monday,



8 comments:

  1. Your Dresdens turned out great! Your Craftsy blocks are looking lovely all lined up together.

    Looking forward to your blog hop day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful I've got a bit of a thing for Dresdens at the minute too. I've just done a tiny one using 2" blades it's uber cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that modern take on the dresden block, too - looks like a happy sun. :) Way to go, getting ahead with the green blocks, and it looks like something fun is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dresden Plates are gorgeous. I've only made the traditional and am ready to try something that is still Dresden but a little different. Your ideas are nice ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the different takes on the dresdens :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I wish I had the patience to do this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've totally strayed away from the Craftsy BOM, but I clearly need to get back on track. These dredens are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those dresdens are wonderful, I really like the modern idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...