Thursday 5 December 2013

Here be dragons!

Last week we took ourselves off to the wilds of Northumberland for a spot of lunch.

It was a glorious day and there was a walled garden next to the cafe, so after lunch we had a wander.


Winter Lichen

The garden had a number of old apple trees, many of which were festooned for the season in nature's own winter decoration.


Walled Garden Meldon

There has been a bumper crop of berries around here this year, which according to folklore means that a hard winter is on the way! Do the trees know something we don't and, if so, how???

Berries are one thing to find in a walled garden, but even in the wilds of Northumberland I certainly was surprised to come across this sign!

Dragon Sign

The signpost was facing in the same direction as the children's play area, which certainly doesn't seem like a good idea to me :) Dragons, in European mythology at least, are generally fire-breathing, cave dwelling, bad news for human creatures as far as I can tell, so sending your children in their general direction seems a bit careless.

It sounds like a great threat though if your children were misbehaving :)

Linking up to

Really Random

6 comments:

  1. funny! Any signs pointing towards a dragon would definitely attract my boys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got one I'd happily send there right now hehe! Festooned is such a good word! Lovely photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Id like to see those dragons.....from a distance mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boss cheerfully told me the other day that it's going to be the worst winter since 1940-something, those berries may be onto something!

    As for the dragon, seems like a perfect place to send kids to me ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't you go and look at the dragon? Please go back and take a photo this time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm up for a dragon hunt! I'll be looking at the Smaug this weekend, can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...