Friday 2 August 2013

Holiday Memories Mini Quilt Competition

Announcing a brand new competition for a mini quilt based upon a Holiday Memory from 2013. So whether your 2013 Holiday is a distant memory, or you are still unpacking your suitcase or even yet to have your holiday this competition is for you.



It doesn't make any difference whether your holidays take in lots of this


Druridge Bay, Northumberland


or spending time at places like this


Bowes Museum Barnard Castle


or just putting your feet up in the garden

Bee on flower

this competition will be ideal for all.

The Competition is for a mini quilt based upon a Holiday Memory, and here are the specifics you will need to know to enter.

  • Mini quilts submitted must be at least 12" by 12" in size and no bigger than 24" by 30" 
  • Submissions can be made in one of three categories
  1. Mini Quilt/ Wallhanging
  2. Cushion/Pillow
  3. Bag/Accessory
  • All submissions must be complete on entry
  • Submitted entries must have been completed since 1st January 2013
  • Submissions can be either from a blog post or Flickr photostream
  • All submissions should include details of the Holiday Memory they relate to in the blog post or Flickr photo description
  • Entrants can only make 1 submission in each category, but may enter all 3 categories with different, individual entries if they wish
The important dates for the Competition are as follows:

  1. Submissions open at a Link party on this blog on Thursday, September 26th
  2. Submissions close on Friday, October 4th
  3. Voting for the Viewers Choice winners in each category begins on Saturday, October 5th
  4. Voting closes on Friday, October 11th
  5. Winners in all categories will be announced on Tuesday, October 15th
So, even if you haven't been on your summer holiday yet there is still plenty of time for you to experience a holiday memory and stitch it up into a mini quilt.

Naturally as this is a competition there will be prizes and thanks to the generosity of some lovely people there are some great prizes up for grabs.

For each category there will be a Judged prize winner and a Viewer's Choice winner and, in addition, there will be several randomly drawn prize winners. So there will be lots of opportunity to be a winner no matter whether you are a skilled quilt artist or a tentative beginner :)

The Judging panel, who will collaboratively decide on the winning entry in each category, have been drawn from around the globe and represent a wide-ranging span of experience and interest in their quilting backgrounds.


  •  Kristy at My Photo is well known to many of you as the paper-piecing pattern supremo of such diverse lines as Retro Kitchenware and LEGO Star Wars characters


  • Cindy at Tops to Treasures is a longarm quilter par excellence and a Moda Bakeshop designer to boot
  • Sheila at bluepatch quilter is a quilt class teacher of many years standing who describes herself as an enthusiastic quilter, but her pupils might think that is underselling herself


So what prizes are there in store for the lucky winners?

Well, I am happy to tell you that nearly everyone I approached as a potential prize sponsor said yes, so the following fantastic prizes will be awarded.

Shop online

A £25 gift voucher from the Village Haberdashery

sewmeasong     


A Fabric Bundle from Sew Me a Song
Made with Oakshott  

An Italy Fat 8ths pack of Oakshott Cottons 


A box of Aurifil threads


A jelly roll to the value of Aus$44 from Jelly Roll heaven at Fabric Patch,


  


6FQ's of Japanese Fabrics from Blossom Heart Quilts

My Photo  

Choice of 3 paper-piecing patterns from Quiet Play's Craftsy store


A copy of Patchwork Please 

 1 x 5 spools Aurifil Thread (4 lucky winners!)

So, what are you waiting for? Grab the button, spread the word and start sorting through those holiday snaps :)

I can't wait to see what you all come up with.

And because it has taken me weeks to get all this organised I am linking this post up as a finish to Crazy Mom Quilts and

    Confessions of a Fabric Addict
    Sunday Showcase Party

    19 comments:

    1. Going to be such a fun competition! Great job on organising it all and what fab prizes on offer!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ooo I may finally try a quilt. A mini quilt might be a good place to start!

      ReplyDelete
    3. It is going to be super fun! Now I need to put on my thinking cap and start planning.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Grand idea! Finished though? I think I might have blown my finishes for the next 6 months or so now ;o)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Great concept, Fiona! I have no idea what I'll make, but I'll be joining in.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Oh I think I want to participate! Great idea!!!
      Esther
      esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

      ReplyDelete
    7. ooh, fab, i already have the idea and the fabric, just needed the push to get started!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Do you have to be a resident of the UK to enter? I'm in Australia.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No Jenni, the competition is open to everyone regardless of location. Thanks for asking.

        Delete
    9. What a wonderful competition! I'll get my thinking cap on!

      ReplyDelete
    10. I will definitely have to think about this. We had a trip to FL last march, but have another trip in a few weeks that may be the ticket for a quilt design. Thank you for encouraging me to consider this!

      ReplyDelete
    11. This looks fun! Now by holiday, I am thinking this means a vacation right. Because a holiday to me means - Christmas, Valentines Day, Halloween etc.

      ReplyDelete
    12. not sure how I missed this but I think I definitley have to have a go...... (grins knowingly) x

      ReplyDelete
    13. This sounds sew fun! Thanks for organizing! Gotta do some big thinkin' now!

      ReplyDelete
    14. What a great competition, I would love to take part but you know what my year has been like! and I didn't have a holiday :-( But you have inspired me with some ideas to make a cushion cover of a holiday photo next year!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

    Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...