Tuesday 13 August 2013

Bridging the Gap

I have no idea why but I seem to be on a bit of a roll with the blocks for the Star of Africa Bee, which as regular readers know require a lot of brain activity on top of the sewing required. We are in the middle of redecorating and shifting rooms around, so maybe getting the Bee blocks done is really procrastination on the shifting furniture front. Whatever it is, though it's working :)

Back in May, Leanne asked for "a postcard block - a block with anything that you might find on a postcard from where you live or your country". Eek! where to begin? I live near the Roman Sites of Hadrian's Wall so thought about trying to come up with a block to represent them, but eventually decided that my ability to replicate a pile of stones meaningfully was next to non-existent!

So with ancient history out of the question, maybe something more modern was called for. Coming into Newcastle upon Tyne by train from the South, the sight of the Tyne Bridge from the High Level Bridge is a welcome sign that I am nearly home. So I decided to have a go at representing the Bridges on the Tyne for my block for Leanne.


Tyne Bridges Star of Africa Bee block

So here is my version of four of the seven Bridges crossing the Tyne between Newcastle and Gateshead. The Bridges are from top to bottom - Tyne Bridge, High Level Bridge, Queen Elizabeth II Bridge and the Swing Bridge.

This block is winging its way to Australia, so it seems appropriate that it has a version of the Tyne Bridge there, as it was apparently the model for the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which was built 4 years after the Tyne Bridge.


Tyne Bridges postcard and block

And here is the block with the original postcard that inspired it.

I am delighted to have another tick on the list of outstanding blocks for the Star of Africa Bee and now need to come up with a plan for the music-themed block that Irene asked for in July :)

If your holiday photos are of bridges or other industrial structures this year, then they could be the perfect subject for a mini quilt entry for the


At 10.5" by 8.5" this block is too small for an entry, but extended to the minimum 12" by 12" I might even get all 7 of the City Centre Tyne Bridges into a quilt :)

Linking up to

Fresh Poppy Design Quilter in the Closet IMG_6373



Maybush Studio

22 comments:

  1. Cool block - I used to live in Durham and so when I'd been up to visit the rellies in Scotland the Tyne bridges were always a sign of being nearly home for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block is amazing! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that one - the Tyne bridges are definitely iconic. I have an old B&W photo of the Tyne somewhere and I'm now trying hard to think what I've done with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow that is fab! Love the way you have matched the colours up and the machine embroidery of the details. Great work x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing what will push you to sew what you've been putting off ;o) Looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work Fiona. The bridges look fab, you have captured them perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMAZING!!!! This block is just breath-taking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is amazing! The colors are so vivid and the idea development and end product leave me with my mouth in a little, "Oh."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! This is just amazing ... I can't say it enough! Is it all machine embroidery?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your block looks fantastic! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's gorgeous!!!! I've finished Cindy's crayon colours block, and am working on the flowers, need to get a postcard for inspiration for Leanne's, but music? really? i have no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is SO cool, Fiona!!! At first glance, I thought it was our Harbour Bridge. I've enlarged the photo to try and work out how you did it. Is the grey stitched on afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous - love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you have captured the colours and the spirit of the original postcard beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome block! Really fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great block! Really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting theme for a bee! I thought it was the Sydney Harbour Bridge till I read on. I didn't realise that had been modelled on an earlier bridge. Definite resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, that block is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...