Friday 10 May 2013

All the nice girls

We had a couple of long car journeys in the last week or so, which meant that I was looking for something to keep me occupied when the map reading consists of keep straight ahead for the next couple of hundred miles!

As you know from previous posts we have been redecorating our eldest son's now vacated bedroom with a seaside theme. So when the April issue of the Bustle and Sew magazine popped up in my inbox with a pattern for a cushion based on the song " All the nice girls love a sailor" well my travelling project was found :)


I used a piece of calico for the embroidery and then raided my son's wardrobe for the cushion fabric.


I should just say that I checked with him first before I ripped his shirts apart!

The embroidery was bordered with 2.5" strips top and bottom.

Embroidered cushion using a Bustle and Sew pattern
All the nice girls cushion 








I used more shirt strips for the back of the cushion and was also able to use the front placket from one of the shirts to make a button closure. I love it when that works out :)

Sailor cushion back

So not only do I have another element of my seaside decoration, but it cost me next to nothing to make too. That's my kind of project!

And if you haven't come across the song before you can listen to it here. Needless to say since starting the embroidery I have been humming this ever since :)



Linking up this finish to 

Crazy Mom Quilts

 

UndertheTableandDreaming


Photobucket





18 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitching, Fiona! I like those kind of projects too. :) Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cushion Fiona, and the song! Your stitching is, of course, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona your cushion is lovely and a great way of recycling too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that cushion, such a great idea to use the shirt placket as the closure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cushion and the embroidery, but love you even more for the button idea, I'm about to teach a cushion class - I will be using that tip! Dont worry, I will tell them a friend of mine showed me, I won't claim the credit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great use of the shirts, I'll have to remember the button closure idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute pillow!
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
    Ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect, although I'm starting to worry you'll have naked kids soon ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great way to fasten that cushion cover, I did something very similar once making a cushion out of an old cardigan and it works perfectly with very little sewing/effort. Can't stop singing the song now myself!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful! Those shirts are a perfect match for the stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. An ingenious way to close the cushion!!! I'll have to remember that, Fiona. (Pinning so I don't forget.) Your embroidery is lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I love how the little heart is embroidered, too. Awesome :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute! I love the front, but the back is particularly clever - using the button placket! Brilliant!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Afternoon Fiona, This is a fabulous way to use up old shirts... I shall be taking a closer look at my husbands..... mmm I wonder if he will miss a few???
    I love embroidery and your embroidery is stitched beautifully.
    Yes, I do know the song.... I asked Sadie my mother in law, and she knew it aswell and started singing it to me.
    Fiona I have enjoyed my visit and I have become a new follower.
    I would like to invite you to visit me at Ivy, Phyllis and Me! when you have the time, as you will be most welcome.
    Best Wishes to you,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sew very adorable!! Love the shirting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a terrific idea! It turned out so adorable. Hmmm... I bet my husband has a bunch of shirts he wouldn't miss ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, how fun!!! Thanks for link up to Let's Get Acquainted!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to share this post its all information is really very nice and helpful for me so i am really impressed to this post.

    Wholesale Branded Clothing
    Wholesale Clothing Suppliers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...