Monday 25 March 2013

New to Me in March!

It's the 25th of the month again (already?) and it is time to celebrate all the new things we have attempted in March.



My first New to Me this month is co-hosting a Flickr Swap with the talented UKMUMINUSA

Silhouette image of cook wearing an apron and reading a cookery book
As neither of us had ever hosted a Swap before we weren't quite sure what to expect, but we are delighted to have nearly 30 Crafty Cooks all stalking each other and debating whether skull and goldfish fabrics are appropriate on an apron or not :) Opinions are currently divided.

My second New to Me in March was part of Rikka's Fancy Feet Challenge, where I dusted off my Teflon Foot and got to grips with sewing with oilcloth to make this washbag.

Brown and turquoise patterned oil cloth wash bag
The third New to Me activity I have attempted this month hasn't been quite as successful I have to admit. As part of my Christmas present, my husband bought me a Craft Drill set which has been sitting untouched in its smart blue zip-up case. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it, but just hadn't plucked up the courage to have a go. With wind and snow forecast for the weekend it seemed like the perfect time to grab a cuppa, put some music on and finally unleash the drill.

Dremel 300 Drill and accessories in carry case


All of that was easy until I attempted to make sense of the almost non-existent instructions. A quick Google search and it was evident that I wasn't alone in struggling with the lack of instructions and that this wasn't going to be as easy as I had hoped.

For a start I wanted to use the drill to etch on glass and it seemed that I didn't have the right drill bit (already I have a whole new language to learn!) so a trip to the local Dremel stockist was called for. Alas they only stocked the drills and accessories at Christmas, so the big out-of-town DIY superstore was next on the agenda. Yay! a whole stand of drills and bits, but sadly not the one I was looking for, so I bought what I hoped was the next best thing.

Unfortunately it was not the next best thing. So I am currently waiting on an online order, which will, hopefully, arrive in time for me to have a go at etching Easter bunnies onto glasses so that I can fill them with mini Chocolate Easter eggs.




If this plan fails the chocolates will be eaten and any mention of glasses filled with Easter Eggs will be hotly denied!

I hope your New to You attempts have been more successful than mine this month.

Link them up below and share your triumphs and/or disasters.

As ever please link back to this post in your post and/or add the blog button to your sidebar.

Check out the other links and leave a comment along the way. The emphasis of this link party is to celebrate the trying of something new, whether it works out exactly as planned or not, so a little encouragement here and there would not go amiss! 

The link will remain open until March 31st so if you haven't already tried something new you still have time :)



14 comments:

  1. If the drill bit doesn't arrive, you can just buy some glass etching spray (wear a mask when using it!) I'll link tomorrow's long arm post :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo have always wanted to do something like this have contemplated the etching as Katy said !!!
    think i better link up here as i have a couple of new to me thing this month !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That drill would be WAY out of my comfort zone, Fiona. I look forward to seeing what you do with it, including your glass etching. Congrats on running a FUN swap and using a teflon foot to make your fabulous toiletry bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a Dremel for my birthday last year! You can buy a whole box of parts, about 400, on ebay for about £15. They're not Dremel bits, but they work and are worth it to try things out with - you can always buy the expensive Dremel version if you find it's a tip you'll use.

    I noticed the glass engraving tip was sadly lacking, but saw they've brought out a new tool - the engraver... I suspect this is why the engraver bit has gone awol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Fiona what a great adventure using a Dremel for the first time. I'm really looking forward to seeing your glass etching project.
    You are doing a great job hosting the apron swap. It is a fun group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great NTMs Fiona. Your washbag is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh lots of new things for March! Good luck with the drill and etching - I love the idea you have planned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many fabulous things for March! I've always wanted to try a Dremel but never have. I'd like to see what you make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Dremel sounds way too complicated for me too! I have used an etching paste in the past with good results! Thanks for the linky party Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I've missed the 25th again. I must check if I've done anything new! I love your pouch made with teflon foot and I'm looking forward to seeing your glass engraving. Hope the drill bit comes soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... you have had lots of new! I own a Dremel but would love a "Dremel for Dummies" book because I know it can do many amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I own a dremel too and I even have the etching tool, I bought glass plates to have a go at etching and never got round to doing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How annoying, hope the piece arrives in time! They should look great when they are done, are you following on with others? Pumpkins, Christmas trees, valentine hearts, birthday cakes?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so late joining in this month so by now I know that your drill bit arrived and that you've very successfully etched your bunnies, great job and you've really done some stuff this month! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...