Wednesday 11 February 2015

A quilting we will go!

Yay! I have finally got to the stage of quilting my Quilt Group Sampler quilt. I am only about 3 months behind everyone else, but we will gloss over that for now :)

We are using Quilt As You Go for this quilt, which is also the technique used in my first ever quilt class several years ago. If I tell you that I have 24 blocks backed, basted and nearly all quilted sitting in my cupboard from that class you will understand why I am rather hesitant about this whole process. Part of the reason that those blocks have gathered dust for so long is because I have never got around to finishing the last block, a folded star block. So if I also tell you that I am not happy with the Stained Glass window block that I made for the Quilt Group Sampler and intend to redo it, you can probably see where history might be repeating itself!

However, I am heading off to QG today so with any luck that Stained Glass window block will be redone to my satisfaction and we might actually see a finished quilt in the not too distant future. Don't hold your breath while you are waiting though :)


HQ Sampler Block 1

First up and a chance to have a go with the walking foot on the Bernina, this Trip Around the World block, which went surprisingly well.



Next up, this Ohio Star Block and a chance to see if the lights on the Bernina are as good as they claim. I used a Hera Marker to mark out the lines for the star quilting and I normally have real trouble seeing the marked lines under the sewing machine lights, but I am pleased to say that the Bernina lights lived up to the claims and I could see the lines no problem!

HQ Sampler Block 3

Finally, the Celtic Knotwork block, which didn't originally have a border but quickly had one added when I sliced down the wrong side of the block when squaring up! I used the stitch in the ditch foot to quilt around the border, but I definitely need to practise more with that. It seemed that the ditch guide and the needle were not exactly in alignment as the stitching was noticeable even although the ditch guide hugged the seams. Perhaps another read of the manual is called for :)

So, three down six more to go and then I have to tangle with QAYG sashing!

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

13 comments:

  1. The blocks look great, and the fabric combo is fab. Good luck with the QAYG-the quilting is looking lovely, it's the assembly that I fail at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lemony yellow and denim blue is a great combination. I may look for a class doing something like the QAYG quilt. I've done the occasional day class and made a mat but I would like to try a full sized quilt to conquer my quilting fears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've really got to grips with your new foot, the stitching looks great. My Bernina foot also is a bit off when stitching in the ditch but I've got used to where I need to guide the fabric now, just a case of adapting my stitching to suit the machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good save on the sliced block, Fiona. LOVE the colour / fabric combo on all the blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the trinity knot - that looks great! I've not tried QAYG but keep meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the echo of the Ohio Star Block you chose for the quilting in the corners. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree re yellow and blue - it's a lovely combination and your blocks are really pretty. I envy your Bernina and it sounds as if you and it are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you matched the quilting to each block - that's a nice touch :D You're 1/3 of the way through the block quilting - keep it up!

    I like your border addition to the Celtic Knotwork block - that was a great *design decision* :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really nice blocks! Lovely quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilting looks great in all three blocks. I really love the Celtic Knotwork block, and I think the border is a nice touch. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good on you. They all look great. I like the border on the last one - another one where I wouldn't have known it was unintended if you hadn't told us so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like you and your Bernina are getting on really well :-) Your blocks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking good so far, go on, you know you can finish it :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...