Thursday 6 March 2014

Who knew?

What do you do when you have finished your book on a flight and don't really want to start another one straight away? Perhaps like me you turn to the in-flight magazine for some light reading. Now, if you were on a flight with Jet2.com in the last few weeks you might have been surprised to learn that





the Guinness World Record for flip-flop throwing is 33m!

In addition, whilst I already knew that flip-flops are called thongs in Australia, (which confused me completely the first time I saw a sign at a restaurant saying "no thongs allowed") and I have also heard them referred to as slides, I have never come across them being called jandals, go-aheads, slappies or step-ins, have you?

Then I learned that

fourth of july american flag.jpeg 

Maderia wine was used to toast the first American Independence Day on July 4th, 1776. I wonder what they did with the glasses? I am guessing that they didn't feature in a current Italian trend, the rage room. 

Linen water bottles for Christmas Fair

Never come across a rage room before? Well, it sounds like a toddler tantrum for adults. Apparently to an appropriate soundtrack you can vent your frustrations on an array of glasses, crockery and furniture and walk away from the resulting mess at the end without a backward glance. In two minutes it is supposedly possible to smash 100 glasses and bottles! Something to think about next time your sewing machine snarls up threads or jams :)

Linking up to

Really Random

21 comments:

  1. A rage room sounds like a great idea. I just had some snarl issues this week and smashing would have been a good outlet. I loved all the flip flop tidbits as well. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. I went to a Chinese restaurant the other day and was just fascinated with the way the waiter folded up the simple brown paper bag that contained my left overviews. When I unfolded it at home, I took pictures so I could blog about it. Just a silly thing, but when something grabs your interest, why not? You've just encouraged me to write that post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "go-aheads" has really dropped out of the lexicon - we used it in Los Angeles in the '60s. Here in Northern California, it seems to be flip-flops. I still like go-aheads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is one of the mysteries solved Katy!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I so need a rage room where there are no consequences. Ha ha... No wonder you were confused re the No thongs allowed sign... fairly commonplace over here. Isn't it funny how the name we have for a piece of footwear, is the name for a style of underwear in many other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We grew up calling them "meeps" and I still do, but of course, no one knows what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super fun facts. I think a rage room would come handy more than once during frustrating moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of rage room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't want to know our name (school days at least) for plimsolls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still remember my friends face when an aussie colleague said, Nice thongs!!! She nearly died, not knowing that he meant her sandals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Years ago I worked for a company which had the equivalent of a rage room, when you were fed up you could go in there for 2 mins to vent your frustrations before going back to your desk calm and collected!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was a kid in New York we called them thongs. I got it from my Dad. Who knows where he got it. He lived in New York City, New York State and Ontario, Canada. I have a rage room. The bathroom, I just go in there and yell. Haven't used it in 30 years. Guess rage is no longer in my vocabulary. Much nicer this way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love in flight magazines, you find out all sorts of random! I totally need a rage room at work...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha. This was really funny! So friend of mine got a really strange look from her daughter's boyfriend when she asked to borrow her daughter's thongs. Um, that's what we used to call them when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He he he. My aging uncle asked my daughter to,wager her thongs in a family pocker game. The look on everyone's face! So funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too funny about the shoes! I'm from Las Vegas originally, and have always called them "flip-flops," and rarely "thongs," but never heard of any of the other names. My husband is from Michigan and they've always been "flip-flops" to him. That rage room sounds interesting too... though considering the massive mess one dropped glass can make in my kitchen, I'd really hate to be the one cleaning it up! Loved your random bits today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of fun random facts! Love the rage room idea, though I wouldn't want to be the one needing to clean it all up at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still giggling about the "no thongs allowed" story....

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great collection of info! I must fly more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm Australian so they're thongs to me! And the underwear is called a g string. Jandal is the New Zealand word for thongs. I think it might be a shortening of Japanese sandal?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...