Tuesday 17 September 2013

A day out with Bargello




A couple of weeks ago I treated myself to a class at my LQS, it was an early birthday present from me to me!

The class on offer was for a Bargello quilt top, which is something I have long wanted to try. A whole day cutting, sewing and chatting with quilters wasn't to be sneezed at either :)

So armed with my fabric, 7FQ's of Madrona Road, my sewing machine (its first ever day out!) and enough food to keep me going for hours I set off.

I was very relieved to find that I wasn't the only one there who was a bit nervous about things like accurate seams and matching points!











We cut six 2" strips from each fat quarter, then joined them together to make 6 identical strip sets. These were then sewn together in two sets of three and the seams were pressed in opposite directions for each.

Then we really had to start concentrating, so the chatter stopped and peace descended!

Cutting the strips into various widths ranging from 0.75" to 2.5" really kept us on our toes. There was no let up after that though as we had to really concentrate again when stitching the strips together lengthways to make sure that we kept the pattern shift correct.

This must be the quietest stitching class I have ever attended!

All that concentration was worth it though as I have now managed to complete all of the Bargello strips ( we ran out of time in class) and now have to decide what to do about borders.

I am thrilled to bits with my first ever attempt at Bargello, even although not all my seams are perfect or my points matching, it is recognisably Bargello and that will do for me :)


Linking up to

25 comments:

  1. happy early birthday to you! Great effect :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fab! And a great way to use some co-ordinating fq's

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that concentrating was definitely worth it. What a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Bargello and I love your Bargello, it's fab

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and I love the colours, might try this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of thefewckasses I took was Bargello, mine was a birthday present too, isn't it a lovely effect. I love your fabrics, I see a city skyline with the sun behinfpd the buildings, beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the effect, Fiona!!! That would be great for the Holiday Memories...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. It looks amazing. My first thought was that it looks like a city at night. I'm not normally a fan of cities, but I remember many long car trips as a child where we would drive through cities at night and I would love seeing the ocean of light as we approached, liked the stars had fallen to Earth, and then the silhouettes of the buildings as we got closer and drove through. This quilt is bringing back all those memories for me :) I really looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like a good time was had by all and you got a quilt at the end of it

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been taken with bargellos but this is stunning! I didn't realize they could look so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous Fiona - it reminds me of the Empire State Building! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So gorgeous Fiona! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great! I love it and I bet most of your points match.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely quilt - love those colours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous, love the colors of the Madrona Road in this application.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday! It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL at the quiet class! its a beautiful quilt, cant wait to see it all completed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never thought of making a stamp out of an eraser. How clever :) It looks like it works well too

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's such a pretty bargello, too - almost looks like a city nightscape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm usually not too crazy about bargello, but yours is great. Has to be your fabric choices. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday and Congratulations on your first Bargello! It does indeed looks like a skyline of a big city at night. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome job! And what a great birthday present!!! Retreats and classes are so fun, getting to stitch and chat with other quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pretty colors in your Bargello. Haven't tried one myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...