Julie asked for blocks for a Ticker Tape quilt from the book. The original quilt is put together with scraps of fabric attached to plain white blocks, quilted and attached at the same time. Julie asked us to stitch fabric scrap squares to a 22" x 22" white background square, leaving the edges raw.
The plan then is that Julie will stitch over the original stitching to quilt the backing, wadding and pieced front together. I wish her luck, I found stitching these squares and rectangles, very tedious! I wasn't sure about the original quilt in the book, when I first read it and now I definitely know that this quilt isn't for me. All those raw edges are too disturbing.
Having seen the other blocks that are on their way to Julie though, this will be a really colourful quilt.
So one block out, and two blocks in.
I have asked my Star of Africa Bee mates to make house blocks for my Bee quilt, and boy are they coming up trumps! Jen made this fabulous block based on her grandparents house, and shared the tale of the making here She has a photo of the original inspiration for the block and has definitely nailed it.
Irene sent this block all the way from Guatemala, complete with a description of the Spanish Colonial style architecture that the block is based on. The door fabric is an example of typical Guatemalan textiles, and the fussy cut flowers in the windows are adorable.
Although the Star of Africa Bee definitely taxes my brain at times, receiving such fabulous blocks with their stories makes the brain frizz worthwhile :)
So no change on the WIP list this week.
- In Color Order HST BOM - quilting started!
- Sunday Morning Quilt Bee all but 3 blocks received
- Sunday Morning Quilt2 Bee 12 sets of blocks received
- Sunday Morning Quilt2 Bee blocks sent (on schedule)
- Star of Africa Bee blocks completed and sent (3 months behind schedule)
Scrappy Trip Around the World Bee- COMPLETED AND SENT
- And And Sew On BOM - four blocks completed (two behind schedule)
- Paris Cushion - fabric received
- (Almost) Irish Chain quilt basted
- 5 blocks of NY Beauty QAL completed and fabric cut for remaining 5 blocks
- 18 blocks of Craftsy BOM completed (only 2 more to go!)
Maybe the rain we are being predicted for the rest of the week will mean some progress will be made on that list this week :)
The Link-up for New to Me in July opens tomorrow, so don't forget to link up if you have tried anything new this month!
Linking up to