Monday 31 October 2022

Spooks and sewing

 A couple of months ago our younger grandson put in a very specific request for his next granny sewn outfit. He wanted a vampire outfit for Halloween, well how could a granny refuse? I came across a couple of paper patterns for sale on a Facebook group that were exactly what I needed. An online fabric shop later and I was ready to start stitching. 

There were so many new to me's involved in the making of this, it was a real labour of love! Attaching the stand-up collar to the cape definitely taxed my poor brain and there was some fudging involved in the end, but the recipient will not notice I am sure. The pattern had the cape attaching with a tie at the neckline and the shirt collar closing with a hook and eye, but knowing nearly 4 year old boys as I do I thought they might be an accident waiting to happen. I, therefore, left the shirt collar open and made the front fastening with red ribbon and velcro so that said nearly 4 year old could put it on and off himself, and it could be removed easily in a hurry if the need arose :)

The pattern also included dress knee length trousers but I decided instead to make a pair of black joggers on the basis that they would be more comfortable and that he would get use out of them afterwards too. 



Of course, I couldn't make for one grandson and not the other but as the 6 year old was already sorted with a costume I made him an appropriately themed warm pullover instead. The shawl collar on this took me 3 attempts to get right, but we got there in the end.

And now I have a granddaughter to make for too! One Halloween romper for a little miss who cannot be left out and will, no doubt, in the not too distant future be putting in her own requests for outfits. A whole new world of sewing awaits :)




On the basis that I really need to use up my fabric stash before I invest in any more fabric, I used up the last of my Halloween fabric on Halloween underwear to keep the boys warm as they head out to their friends for treats and fun. I only realised after I had cut out the vests that the fabric is upside down on one (mummies on their heads!) but hopefully the grandson won't notice!

I have another Halloween make but that will not be revealed until November 1st when the next Endeavourers Challenge is unveiled here

Happy Halloween to all!

1 comment:

  1. Super outfits! Well done, and congratulations on little miss ... I must have missed that♥️

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...