Thursday 13 June 2013

Taking the water

A couple of weeks ago we spent a weekend in Derbyshire. I had never visited this part of the UK, so it has been on my list of places to see for a long time. Despite a rather dismal weather forecast for the weekend, our stay in Buxton did not disappoint.

Since Roman Times, visitors have been coming to take the waters at Buxton and modern-day visitors can still do the same.

This is St Ann's well, where the famous Buxton water still runs freely, indeed a local filled several bottles from the well just after I had taken this photo. Naturally, bottled Buxton water is also available at a price, although, surprisingly (to us anyway) the bottled water in the hotel was from further north in Harrogate!

The Crescent where the wealthy Georgians and Edwardians "took the waters" is currently under renovation but the Opera House and Pavilion are in great shape.



The Pavilion was hosting an Antiques Fair whilst we were there, so we popped in for a browse and popped back out again fairly quickly, having seen the prices! Silver tankards at £18,000 were just not on our shopping list that day :)

Despite the weather forecast the Pavilion Gardens were wreathed in sunshine for our visit and looked at their best.





Even this fellow, who is described as "big and rather ugly" in the guide book, was looking good!


But not as good as these little cuties :)


Mother Duck had her work cut out with this brood!


I had hoped to visit Hardwick Hall on this trip, as I had read that Bess of Hardwick, who had the Hall built in the 1500's was a fantastic needlewoman and there were samples of her work in the Hall, but alas the House was closed on the only day we could get there. Still, that means we will have to take another trip to Derbyshire, so I am not complaining :)

Linking up to

Live A Colorful Life

Live A Colorful Life

12 comments:

  1. I think Buxton is delightful - although it's quite a few years since I've visited. I especially remember the railway station was based on or maybe designed by the same person as the original Crystal Palace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a lovely place!! Especially the gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever driven through Buxton, but it looks lovely. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I can definitely recommend stopping off next time you are in the area.

      Delete
  4. It never ceases to amaze me when hotels in the Highlands sell water from Buxton, so I suppose what goes around comes around lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it looks just lovely! Sounds like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love it when you travel because I get to " travel" along with you. Beautiful pictures. I converted those British pounds to US dollars. Those are some pricy tankards either way you look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Went on a training course to Buxton many moons ago.Looks like you had a good visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos.. the ducks are cute! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was one of my favourite days out as a kid - the park by the well is lovely and I'm sure that there was a great cake shop there too. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be super cool to take some water from a well from Roman times, I have to say!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...