Thursday 10 May 2018

Mud, mud glorious mud!

Yesterday evening I went on my first Photowalk with my Camera Club. During the day it was touch and go whether it would be on or not as the weather was wet and miserable. The sun, however, eventually made an appearance so we were good to go.

We met up at a local Marina, so I expected, not unreasonably I felt (!), that the walk would be mostly on paved paths and roads and dressed accordingly.

How wrong I was!! There was mud up to the eyeballs on several parts of the route, some of which we navigated more than once as the walk leader decided that we needed to double back on ourselves at least twice. Can you tell that I was not a happy bunny???

There were a couple of themes for the walk, namely Contrast, Texture and Motion. I completely ignored the Motion theme and just concentrated on Contrast and Texture. I am always on the lookout for inspiration for my embroidery so kept an eye out for anything that would help in that regard too.

When I wasn't dodging puddles or trying to avoid the ankle deep mud, I came across lots of this wonderful lichen clinging on to the tree trunks. I am itching to work on an embroidery piece inspired by these :)
These frilly fungi are just begging to be recreated in textiles aren't they? I love the blowsy nature of them, don't you?

There were lots of ferns around, busy unfurling themselves from their tight buds. The next theme for the Endeavourers Quilt group is spirals, so I had to take a photo of this beauty for inspiration too.

Our walk took us away from the woods and along the shoreline of the Firth of Clyde (on a paved path at last!) where the contrast between the rocks, leafy plants and the rusty looking seaweed caught my eye.

It wasn't the only thing to catch my eye as this German cruise liner sailed serenely by us heading off to Belfast after its' passengers had enjoyed their day dodging the showers in Scotland! I would certainly have swapped my muddy surroundings for the elegance of a classic cocktail before dinner watching the scenery slip by :)

And speaking of classic cocktails, Ardgowan House whose estate we were visiting featured in the recent adaptation of Agatha Christie's Ordeal by Innocence, so has undoubtedly hosted the odd cocktail evening or two in the not too-distant past.

No time for cocktails here though, I have a pair of very muddy shoes to clean!

4 comments:

  1. Loved all your photos, especially the fungi (“Jelly Ears” they used to have another name, but not politically correct these days) they really do look like ears don’t they!
    Interesting to know where the Agatha Christie adaptation was filmed ..... always love to know where these magnificent buildings are!
    Lovely photo opportunity!
    Hope your shoes have recovered.
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like...fun? Maybe? The resulting pictures are beautiful, though, especially that unfurling fern :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you got a lot of texturey inspiration - I like the ferns the best! I remember walking in the forest as a kid, seeing the ferns at the edge of the little stream we would walk by ... I remember hopping over the stream, but we probably also walked through it :D I wouldn't be happy about an unexpectedly muddy adventure though - I hope your shoes came through unscathed :D If not, I'm guessing that they became your official Adventure Shoes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't be happy walking in mud either, unless I'd been forewarned so as to wear appropriate footwear. Great photos, though. I'm with the others - the fern's my favourite.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...