Monday 27 February 2012

A new passion?

Never having tried paper-piecing before I was very surprised to find that I loved tackling the first block in The Littlest Thistle's FPPFTT. I loved it so much that I didn't stop at one block, but got a bit carried away and made 4!

Joined together and bordered with a linen strip, the 4 blocks became the orange in my rainbow cushions. Four cushions down and three to go and two results in one!


I really loved this fabric, Terrain by Kate Spain, so livened up the back of the cushion with some self-covered buttons too.




The next block in the FPPFTT is due out today. Katy gave us a preview on her blog at the weekend, so I am really looking forward to getting to grips with triangles this time. In fact, I have enjoyed the paper piecing so much that I have signed up for the New York beauty QAL too! I am nothing if not enthusiastic :) Check out the giveaway at Freshly Pieced to celebrate the beginning of the QAL here

Talking of Quilt a Longs, the Sew Happy QAL is steadily coming towards the end. This week's block was number 10 of 12, the time seems to have flown by on this, which I really didn't expect when I signed up. This week's block was all HST's, and came together really quickly. The next block is a paper-pieced block, so I am glad that I will already have had some practice before attempting it. I am beginning to worry about running out of fabric for the last couple of blocks, so can't afford to make any mistakes now!

The finished quilt will be a (late) First Wedding Anniversary present for my son and daughter-in-law. It was their Anniversary yesterday, which they celebrated with a weekend in Florence. As we had snow again on Sunday I know who was in the right place. The quilt will be a few weeks late but I am sure they will forgive me!

18 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this cushion!!! I think it's my favourite of your rainbow cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you signed up for the NY Beauty - we can learn together and root each other on. Love how your pillow turned out, maybe I need to practice a little bit more. As far as the QAL, I'm in the same boat as you hoping I don't run out of fabric, but I know I will. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I can see why you needed to make more! Your pillow is so pretty and cheerful. And I'm really loving the QAL block. The colors of the fabrics came out very nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pillow looks perfect and I *love* the button back! I'm so glad you decided to join up for the NY Beauty! I can't believe the Sew Happy Geek QAL went so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cushion looks absolutely fab, so glad I was able to suck you in to the paper piecing :oD I just did my 10th SHQ block too, although I have loads of fabric left, but then I think I started with a ridiculous amount!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pillow is so cheery! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful pillow. I love Kate Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Terrain! A pretty pillow you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cushion, the fabric choices are lovely, shows off the block in a completely different way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty cushion - I can see why you didn't want to stop at just the one block. And it looks great with the other cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your cushion just come over from the flickr site to see your blog !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat pillow! I've got a couple charm packs of Terraine and love what you made!
    Quilting by the River

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Fiona, I've featured your Paper Pieced Pillow today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/03/threading-your-way-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! I have serious Terrain love thanks to the baby quilt I'm working on right now! This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG I cannot believe I missed this post, your chushion is gorgeous, the fabric you used is lovely too, well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoops I meant cushion!!! fingers are not working with the brain today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...